Thursday, January 8, 2009

How I determine if a pocket watch case is karat gold

I have been buying and selling watches on internet anyway a long time. Over the years I have purchased great watches for low prices and junk for too much. So, several years ago I started using certain rules to determine if I wish to bid. These rules work and if you follow them you can build a great collection without getting taken.

I mostly deal in pocket watches, I buy watches needing repair, fix and sell. Lately, the price of gold has risen to levels that make pocket watches with karat gold cases an interesting investment. So, here are some of my rules for buying karat gold watches.

1. I use the symbols on the watch case to determine if the watch is karat gold. The most helpful reference that I know is "The Complete Price Guide to Watches". This book is a must have for the collector. The latest edition shows symbols for solid gold and gold fill on pages 35 to 39.

2. I prefer the case to have a stamp saying "Warranted 14K (18K) US ASSAY" all other marks need to be checked.

3. Any case marked "Guaranteed 20 years (5, 10,25)" is gold fill.

4. Any case marked "Permanent" is gold fill.

5. Any case marked with scales is gold fill.

6. Any case marked with names such as Montauk, Empress, etc. is gold fill.

Finally karat gold cases look like karat gold cases and when you strike them they make a tinging sound. Solid gold cases are generally somewhat pliable. Gold fill cases are rigid.

Now the author is dealing in top quality replica watches,to know more information about the replica watches,please visit the website:http://www.hellorolex.com.

Rolex,Rolex replica,Rolex 2008 New Model,Rolex Datejust,Rolex Daytona,Rolex Submariner,Rolex Sea-Dweller,Rolex Day-Date,Breitling replica,Bell&Ross replica,Patek Philippe replica,U-BOAT replica,Tag Heuer replica,Ferrari replica,Chopard replica,Longines replica,Alain Silberstain replica and Omega replica.

No comments: